Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Surgery...

My surgery was scheduled for 12/20/12 @ 4:30pm.

I was instructed to stop eating and drinking at 8am the day of surgery. The eating thing didn't bother me, but not being able to drink my water was torture. I decided I would go to work for half a day to stay busy. It wasn't too bad. I swished my mouth out with water frequently and used scope mouthwash to replace my gum addiction. I had no idea gum faked your stomach in thinking it was eating! No wonder it helps me not eat so much.

I arrived at the ortho hospital at 1:30p as instructed. I still cannot figure out why you have to get there so dang early. Anyhow, once they got me registered and checked in I was shown to the pre- op room. I was asked to change into a lovely hospital gown (only getting to keep my panties on). It was ginormous and could've wrapped around me many times. They also gave me a pair of non- skid socks to wear.

They asked me all the same questions the phone nurse did the day before (annoying). Then came the IV. I have teeny tiny veins especially in my left, non-dominate hand. The nurse found the vein she wanted and proceeded to "make it mad" by smacking the top of my hand. It was thoroughly pissed by the time she was done. It still didn't make it easy for her to get though. Once the IV was in place they started fluids. Then came the long waiting game. I should mention that during this wait it was discovered that the IV would stop if I moved my hand in certain positions, but told it would be fine.

About 4:45p the anesthesiologist came to start my clavicle block (I think that is what he called it -they  numbed my right arm from the shoulder down) and kicked my husband and Aunt to the waiting room. They put happy stuff in my IV and that's all I remember until I heard music and talking in the surgery room. I could hear the Dr. Telling his assistant or whoever to look " there's no cartridge" and then I heard sawing, drilling and hammering noises. He also explained to her why he wasn't using the plate they normally do since my wrist is thin. It was surreal! I kept going in and out of sleep. They had placed a warming blanket on me and I was so hot I remember trying to kick it off and the anesthesiologist helping remove it. I also kicked off my non-skid booties. Toward the end I was essentially wide awake and asked if I could see. They eventually took the tent down and he was finishing up the casting and ace wrap. I didn't get to see anything!  

My arm felt like it weighed 100lbs. It's the strangest thing ... Felt like I was touching someone else's hand - not mine.

Here is a good link that explains the surgery ...

http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/information/Wrist%20fusion.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment