Saturday, December 22, 2012

History...

I decided to document my experience with SLAC wrist and my wrist fusion surgery to hopefully help others. When googling information for myself - there is very little "real-life" information. So, here I go...

As far back as I can remember I have had right hand pain. In 2008-09 I finally decided there may be something going on when I could barely twist the combination lock on a safe deposit vault without wanting to cry from the pain. Thinking it was carpel tunnel I made an appointment with an ortho dr. 

The initial appointment consisted of an array of questions, X-rays and such. I was diagnosed with arthritis at the base of my thumb. This started my 2 years of cortisone shots. If you have ever had one, you know how pleasurable this is. The shots helped a little, taking the edge off the pain. 

At an appointment (2 years after my initial appt)I was speaking with the PA and he decided it would be a good idea to get a current X-ray and see how things were progressing.  

About 15 minutes after the X-ray, the PA and Dr. came into the room. The Dr. started questioning me about the original X-ray, where it was taken, who the dr. was, blah blah blah. He was freaking me out! His office did the X-rays and diagnosed me. Long story short, he informed me that I had SLAC wrist and would need a total wrist fusion. That was about 2 years ago. 

I continued to get cortisone shots with this Dr. He did the injections himself and asked me every appt if I was ready for surgery. After close to 2 years of this and family bugging, I got a second opinion. 

The diagnosis was the same. Total wrist fusion was the best option. However, this ortho Dr. gave better explanations, and surgery options.  

Being a runner, I had no interest in them taking bone from my hip for the fusion. This Dr. said there was a synthetic called inFuse that works great.  Also, since I have really small wrists the metal plate they use would have to be removed in a second surgery - this Dr. used or repositioned my bones so he did not have to use a plate. I liked his ideas ... So, here I sit typing with my left hand, 3 days out of surgery.


No comments:

Post a Comment