Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day1 and 2 post surgery

Thursday -Friday 12/20,21/2012

The first day/ night after surgery went well. I did not have any pain at all due to the block lasting the full 12 hours. It finally wore off about 4:30-5 am Friday morning. I was uncomfortable all night due to weight of my dead arm and figuring out how to position it.

After the block wore off the throbbing began. I started taking Vicodin every 4 hours. The pain was not unbearable and the Vicodin took the edge off. I did find it hard to sleep comfortably with my arm properly elevated. I found the best way was to lay flat on my back with a pillow on my chest and my arm on the pillow. I rolled a towel under my wrist area to elevate further. The hardest thing for me at this point is the lack of activity I am doing. The Vicodin makes me woozy and a little dizzy so I am not moving around much.

My clavicle area where they shot me up feels like I was punched repeatedly. I have sticky stuff all over from the monitoring stickers and I needed a shower. I waited for the meds to wear off and attempted a shower. It wasn't too bad. I simply dumped shampoo on my head guessing how much was actually coming out. Conditioning was a little trickier. I put the squeeze tube between my knees and squirt it into my free hand. It was comical I'm sure, but I'll get it mastered. I've yet to figure out how I'm going to shave my pits. One good thing, I'm sure I'm building up my right shoulder muscles with holding my hand up in the air so much.

I'm sick of laying around already!



No comments:

Post a Comment