Saturday, February 23, 2013

Physical Therapy - post wrist fusion

My first PT was the same day (actually within the hour) of getting my cast off. I knew my fingers would be stiff and my muscles would need to be strengthened, but I did not realize I would lose my supination (palm up) function. I was told I would lose wrist function and maintain pronation and supination.

After being evaluated, the therapist determined I would only need PT once a week for now. Se measured my degree of flexing my fingers and supination. I was sure she was trying to make me scream as she bent my fingers and "massaged" my scar tissue. after torturing me,she gave me exercises to do for stretching my tendons and regaining supination. She also told me to perform scar massage (very uncomfortable to do on myself) - 6-8 times daily.

The picture shows me trying to get my palm to face up. This freaks me out that I can't turn it more. It's like it's stuck. I can't say it's painful to move because it just won't go any further. It feels really tight, like there is something holding it back. I sure hope therapy helps or I may never have a bicep on my right side! Freaking out!!! And doing constant exercises to improve my movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment